Adam B. Wiens
Adam Wiens is a trial lawyer who represents companies and their principals in complex civil lawsuits involving commercial, real estate, oil and gas, construction, business, trade secret, securities, and corporate director and officer liability cases. Adam advises start-up companies through the corporate formation process, including the formation of limited liability companies, corporations, and partnerships. Adam regularly advises established businesses concerning corporate governance, risk management, and strategic planning issues. Adam also represents companies on various employment matters, including non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and trade secret issues. Adam has successfully litigated cases in state and federal courts in Colorado and has successfully resolved a host of matters through the mediation and arbitration process.
Prior to joining Hall & Evans in 2012, Adam was an attorney with a well-respected regional commercial and real estate litigation firm, Lottner, Rubin, Fishman & Saul, P.C., in Denver which included representation of national and regional companies, real estate developers, general contractors, and design professionals.
1001 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
JD: Vermont Law School, 2004
BS: University of Central Oklahoma, 1999, Psychology, Psi Chi International Honor Society, Dean’s List
- Representing exclusive North American distributor of Chinese products concerning reseller and distribution agreements.
- Successfully defended international oilfield service company and Colorado landowner against toxic release and exposure lawsuit by obtaining summary judgment on all claims asserted by plaintiffs who sought damages in excess of 1 Million.
- Representing petroleum engineering firm in U.S. Federal District Court concerning re-completion overages and various contract disputes with oil and gas exploration company.
- Representing North Dakota Oil & Gas supply and service company in multi-million dollar arbitration against claims of fraud and misrepresentation concerning release and settlement agreement and stock purchase agreement.
- Representing geotechnical engineering firm in large mountain landslide outside Jackson Hole, Wyoming against negligence claims and property damage.
- Representing Design-Build Contractor against contract and negligence claims concerning construction defects at Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Obtained Directed Verdict in jury trial in Denver District Court
- Representing start-up company and its principals in United States District Court for the District of Colorado in defending claims for securities fraud, breach of contract, and misrepresentation exceeding $5 million and prosecuting claims for, among other things, patent infringement, breach of licensing agreement, and misappropriation of trade secrets exceeding $5.4 million.
- Representing regional insurance agency in claims against former producer for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of non-compete agreement.
- Representing a subcontractor in a $16.4 million claim by homeowners association and builder/vendor involving interior, exterior and common area defects at a 192 unit residential community.
- Representing a regional architectural firm in a claim exceeding $100,000 by a commercial real estate owner involving the construction remodel of an “iconic” commercial property located in Boulder, Colorado.
- Successfully defended a developer and its principals in a complex multi-party, multi-jurisdiction matter, including national lenders, national mortgage brokers, appraisers and construction professionals, concerning a turn-key single family vacation home investment scheme in a prominent ski town in Colorado.
- Obtained $1 million judgment in securities litigation matter involving a complex multi-party real estate investment scheme.
- Successfully defended a national developer in a mechanic’s lien dispute in the Colorado Court of Appeals resulting in favorable decision affirming dismissal of a district court action brought by subcontractor.
Career Distinctions & Honors
Colorado Super Lawyers, “Rising Star,” Business Litigation, 2015-2016
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Association of Environmental Professionals
ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS // PRESENTATIONS // WEBINARS
- Author, National and Colorado Construction Defect Reform Efforts, Claims Management, American Bar Association, 2015-2016
- Co-Author, “2015 Notable State and Municipal Construction Defect Claim Reforms Aimed at Reducing Litigation and Promoting New Construction,” Under Construction the Newsletter of the ABA Forum on Construction Law, Vol. 17 No. 4
- Speaker, “Construction Defects: Litigation Insurance Coverage Claims A-Z,” National Business Institute, June 2015
- Tenth Circuit Editor, “Circuit Reports,” Defense Research Institute, 2007
- Co-Author, “Annual Legislative Report over Oklahoma Sentencing Laws,” Criminal Justice Resource Center, 1999
Blog Posts About Adam
- COGCC Enacts Stringent New Pipeline Rules in Wake of 2017 Firestone Accident
- Under the Dodd-Frank Act, the SEC Must Hear Your Whistle
- Hall & Evans Rocky Mountain Litigation Reporter – July 2016
- Statute of Repose Begins When Each Contractor’s Work Ends
- Frack On! Colorado Supreme Court Shoots Down Fracking Ban and Moratorium
- 17 Lawyers Selected to the 2016 Colorado Super Lawyers List
- Denver Mayor Signs Construction Defect Claim Reform Ordinance and Colorado Springs Follows Suit
- Aurora, Colorado Adopts Construction Defect Reform Ordinance to Promote Condominium Development
- Hall & Evans Attorneys Listed in 2015 Super Lawyers
- Lakewood City Council Passes Ordinance Addressing Construction Defect Litigation