John F. “Jack” Peters
Jack Peters is a trial and appellate litigator. He has tried over sixty cases to verdict and handled multiple cases on appeal. His practice focuses on defending claims alleging civil rights violations against public entities under 42 U.S.C.§ 1983, other claims against public entities, and claims of public accommodation discrimination under Title II, ADA, and other federal and Colorado statutes. He also regularly defends professional liability matters, construction defect claims, commercial cases, and general civil claims. Mr. Peters represents multiple public entities and officials, private businesses, insurance companies, non-profits, healthcare providers, and other licensed professionals. Before joining Hall and Evans, Mr. Peters was a prosecutor in Boulder County where he tried dozens of cases to verdict, handled extensive appellate work, and supervised the District Attorney’s Office law clerks.
Mr. Peters graduated from Vermont Law School magna cum laude in the top 5% of his class. He served as articles editor of the Vermont Journal of Environmental Law and worked in the chambers of Justice Denise Johnson of the Vermont Supreme Court. He continues to mentor law students and is actively involved in the legal community.
1001 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
JD: Vermont Law School, 2011, magna cum laude
BA: University of Chicago, 2004, Classical Languages and Literatures
- Colorado Bar Association
- Boulder Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors 2017 – 2020
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
Career Distinctions & Honors
- Senior Articles Editor, Vermont Journal of Environmental Law, 2010 – 2011
- People v. Penn, 32, 379 P.3d 298 (Colo. 2016)
Articles & Publications // Presentations // Webinars
- Presenter, “Qualified Immunity and the Basics of Civil Claims Against Law Officers,” Boulder County Bar Association CLE, September 2020
- Presenter, “The Legal Effect of Turning 18,” Monarch High School, 2014 – present
- Presenter, “Finding and Using Digital Evidence,” Kentucky Prosecutors Conference, 2017
- Trainer, Colorado District Attorney’s Council, 2014 – 2018
- Deputy District Attorney, Twentieth Judicial District, Boulder, CO, 2012 – 2019
- Intern, Honorable Justice Denise Johnson, Vermont Supreme Court, Montpelier, VT, 2009
- Conversational in French, Italian, and Spanish. Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, German, and Swedish.