Steven L. Gonzales
Steve Gonzales has over 20 years of civil litigation experience. His practice is currently focused on professional liability, catastrophic injury, construction, and transportation. Mr. Gonzales also has extensive experience in commercial litigation and intentional torts. He has successfully defended his clients in dozens of jury and bench trials in state and federal courts, and administrative proceedings.
Mr. Gonzales previously served as Chair of the New Mexico Supreme Court Disciplinary Board and brings an elevated understanding of professional licensing and ethics matters to his professional liability practice. He frequently represents doctors, nurses, engineers, surveyors, pharmacists, and other licensed professionals before licensing boards and commissions.
Mr. Gonzales strives to find creative, winning solutions to client challenges.
- New Mexico, 2002
- Maryland (inactive), 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Santa Fe Office
2200 Brothers Road
Santa Fe, NM 87505
JD: University of New Mexico, 2000, cum laude
BUS: University of New Mexico, 1996, Communication & Journalism, Political Science
Career Distinctions & Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell®, Distinguished Peer Review Rated
- Nominated for District Court Judge by Second Judicial District Court Nominating Commission
- Sunquest Mktg. v. Lorentzen, No. 27,742, 2009 N.M. Ct. App. (Feb. 16, 2009)
- Paz v. Tijerina, 2007-NMCA-109, 142 N.M. 391, 165 P.3d 1167
- Gruber v. Gruber, 369 Md. 540, 546, 801 A.2d 1013, 1016 (2002)
Business & Community Service
- New Mexico Supreme Court Disciplinary Board, 2008-2011; Chair, 2013; Vice Chair 2012
- Second Judicial District Court Volunteer Attorney Program, Volunteer Attorney, 2009-2013
- Lawlapalooza, Volunteer Attorney, 2010-2018
- Bevan v. Santa Fe Cty., 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 129378 (D.N.M. Aug. 15, 2017)
- Willis v. Smith, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 32477 (D.N.M. Mar. 7, 2017)
- Murray v. Burt, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 170284 (D.N.M. Dec. 15, 2011)
- State Bar of New Mexico
- First Judicial District Bar Association
Articles & Publications // Presentations // Webinars
- Presenter, “The Disciplinary Process in New Mexico,” State Bar of New Mexico
- Presenter, “Medical Malpractice Damages in New Mexico,” State Bar of New Mexico
- Steve lives in his hometown of Santa Fe, New Mexico, with his wife and their two talented teenage children. In his spare time, he is an avid explorer of New Mexico’s roads less traveled.