Thomas J. Lyons
Mr. Lyons’ multi-faceted trial practice emphasizes the defense of employment, discrimination and federal civil rights matters, as well as contract and complex commercial litigation disputes, along with a variety of claims involving Colorado public entities. These responsibilities have led to multiple jury trials in both state and federal courts, including trials of Title VII, ADEA, Rehabilitation Act and other federal and state employment claims.
Drawing on extensive experience in the administrative law arena, Mr. Lyons is also involved in a multitude of administrative proceedings, including proceedings before the EEOC and the Colorado Civil Rights Division, as well as multiple business and professional regulating agencies. Additionally, his background in legislative drafting and analysis at the state and federal levels allows him to assist groups and businesses faced with proposed statutory changes and regulations.
His practice includes counseling and representing both for-profit and not for profit organizations. Such organizations call on his experience and background in employment matters for assistance as their representative, as well as general counsel services. These roles include the opportunity to draft, edit, and amend personnel handbooks, manuals and policies, as well as presenting regular training programs for the employees and managers of clients. For several years, he also developed and presented regular employment and supervisory training programs for the Colorado Local Technical Assistance Program under the auspices of the University of Colorado.
Mr. Lyons’ approach to his clients is to provide the most pragmatic advice and counsel possible. His broad legal experience, combined with a thoughtful and communicative approach to legal problems, promotes the effectiveness of his open representation style.
1001 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
JD: University of Colorado School of Law, 1977
BA: Claremont McKenna College, 1974, History, Political Science, cum laude
Career Distinctions & Honors
- Assistant Attorney General, Tort Litigation and Regulatory Law Sections, State of Colorado, 1982-1990
- Trade Regulation Attorney, Denver Office, Federal Trade Commission, 1978-1982
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Alfred A. Arraj, United States District Court, District of Colorado, 1977-1978
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Law Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Faculty of Federal Advocates
Articles & Publications // Presentations // Webinars
- Presenter, “Witness Interviewing/ Investigating 101,” PRIMA 2013 Annual Conference, June 2013
- Moderator, “Violence in Public and in the Workplace,” 2013 ALFA International Client Seminar, March 2013
Blog Posts About Thomas
- Hall & Evans Hosts Public Entity CLE Seminar
- Tom Lyons and Amber Tamborello Presenting Clear Law Institute Webinar on April 12
- Tom Lyons Presenting Webinars February 23rd – National Business Institute
- Tom Lyons Speaking March 8th – Association of Governmental Risk Pools
- Tom Lyons Speaking December 19th – National Business Institute
- The Tenth Circuit Interprets Scope of Government Employee Speech Under First Amendment