Joseph E. Cavasinni
Joe is a no-nonsense, hardworking lawyer with an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering and eight years of practical work experience in the road and bridge construction industry, including work as a project superintendent for a heavy highway general contractor. Since he began practicing law in 1995, Joe’s practice has been devoted exclusively to construction law, with a specific emphasis in construction litigation. He represents owners, design professionals, contractors/subcontractors and developers in a variety of complex, highly technical matters in state and federal courts and binding arbitration forums. He also advises his clients on risk management, contract negotiation and drafting, and dispute resolution.
Joe is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Panel of Arbitrators for construction disputes where he has presided over dozens of complex matters, many of which involved significant exposure. He has also served as a mediator on a number of design/construction matters, using his engineering and construction background, construction law expertise, and frank and direct approach to successfully resolve many of these claims. Joe has presented at a number of continuing education seminars for attorneys and design/construction professionals on a variety of design/construction related topics and has also published a number of articles/treatises on design/construction law matters, including some national publications.
Joe recently relocated to Colorado after practicing in Ohio for the last 24 years, where he was Chair of his former firm’s Construction Design and Liability Practice Group.
1001 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
JD: Capital University Law School, 1995, cum laude
BS: University of Dayton, 1987, Civil Engineering, with honors
Career Distinctions & Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, 2007 – 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of The Year” in Cleveland for Construction Law, 2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation, 2011 – 2020
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation, 2020
Business & Community Service
- Member of the American Liver Foundation’s Run for Research Team, 2012-2019
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Joe is an avid skier, cyclist, and runner; having run 8 consecutive Boston Marathons from 2012-2019. He also loves the outdoors, hiking, and camping.
Articles & Publications // Presentations // Webinars
- Presenter, “Avoiding the Pitfalls of Typical Risk Shifting Contract Causes,” American Society of Civil Engineers, National Webinar, September 26, 2018
- Presenter, “Legal Issues for Professional Engineers,” Half-Moon International Professional Development Seminar, Akron, OH, September 23, 2014
- Presenter, “Construction LawSeminar Series – Mock Trial,” Harmonie Construction Conference, Atlanta, GA, July 23, 2014
- Presenter, “Law and the Profession of Engineering,” Ohio Professional Engineers , Cleveland, OH, April 20, 2011
- Author, “Standing and State Law Claims: Emerging Law on Contribution/Indemnity”, DRI- For the Defense, Vol. 53, No. 9, September 2011
- Author, “Does a Municipality Really Enjoy Absolute Immunity from Subrogation Claims Pursuant to R.C. §2744.05(B)(1)?,” Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys Quarterly Review, Vol. 4, No. 2, Spring 2011
- Author, “Ohio Construction Law Compendium,” Harmonie Group, January 1, 2010
- Author, “Defense of Claims with Insurance Implications,” Construction Law Client Strategies Aspatore Books 2007, April 5, 2007