Peter C. Middleton
Mr. Middleton has over twenty years of legal experience representing local, state, national and international insured and self-insured companies in complex catastrophic tort litigation, including multidistrict litigation. He has enjoyed a thriving and diverse practice and successfully defended property owners, product manufacturers, outdoor recreational companies, event promoters, hotels, bars, restaurants, healthcare providers and facilities, municipal organizations, construction design professionals, insurance companies, and other businesses too numerous to count. He regularly speaks at regional and national seminars and conferences for the sports, entertainment, recreation, and hospitality industries.
Mr. Middleton’s current practice focus includes sports and entertainment law, outdoor recreation law, hospitality law, including liquor liability and security, products liability, premises liability, construction-related accidents, and mental health professional defense.
- Colorado, 2000
- Illinois, 1997
- Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
1001 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
JD: DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL, 1997, Cert. of Health Law
BA: University of Illinois, 1994
Career Distinctions & Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense, 2013-2015
Recent notable decisions include:
- January 2018: Obtained full summary judgment in a rafting fatality case brought against an outfitter and its river guides.
- July 2017: Obtained a ruling that Colorado’s Dram Shop Act preempts Colorado’s Premises Liability Act, barring a plaintiff from asserting negligent security claims.
- March 2016: Obtained a defense verdict in assault & battery claim brought against a nightclub owner and its security manager.
- America Outdoors Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Restaurant Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Articles & Publications // Presentations // Webinars
- Author, “Public Accommodation: Colorado Determines that Refusal to Allow a Service Dog on a Chairlift is Not Discriminatory,” America Outdoors Association, Spring 2018 Newsletter
- Speaker, “Legal Headwaters: Preparing for the Choppy Waters of Minors, Accident Investigations, and Potential Harassment Complaints,” Colorado River Outfitters Association Convention and Trade Show, February 2018
- Speaker, “There Must be Some Kind of Way Out of Here: A Rock and Roll Take on Risk Management for Outfitters and Guides,” America Outdoors Association Annual Conference, December 2017
- Speaker, “The Legal and Business Confluence: Good Releases Make Good Law, Bad Business Makes Bad Law,” Colorado River Outfitters Association Annual Convention and Trade Show, February 2017
- Speaker, “Liability Releases – On Paper, In the Courtroom, and in the Real World,” America Outdoors Association Annual Conference, November 2016
- Speaker, “Lawsuit?! But We Did Nothing Wrong! Examining Liquor Liability in Colorado,” Colorado Restaurant Association Convention, November 2016
- Moderator, “Playing the Wild Card: Professionalism and Ethical Considerations in Dealing with the Unknown, Unpredictable or Hostile Witness,” ALFA International Hospitality & Retail Seminar, June 2016
- Speaker, “The Outfitter’s Guide to Preserving Release of Liability,” Arkansas River Outfitters Association’s Annual Conference, April 2016
Mr. Middleton is married to his wife of 17 years, Emily, and they have two teenage children. He is an avid mountain biker, mostly for fun, although he participated in the 50-mile “Hundito” charity race event in Bailey, Colorado in 2016 and 2017. Mr. Middleton also plays guitar and bass, occasionally jamming with his bandmates of “Fireball Daddy” whenever his schedule (and his wife) will allow.
Blog Posts About Peter
- Hall & Evans Attorneys Present at Colorado River Outfitter Association’s Annual Convention
- Colorado Courts Consistently and Continually Enforce Liability Waivers in The Recreational Context
- H&E Attorneys Speaking February 7-8 at Colorado River Outfitters Association Convention
- Pete Middleton and Ryan Winter Presented at the America Outdoors Association’s Annual Conference
- Releases of Two Hall & Evans’ Outfitter Clients Enforced in Back-To-Back Decisions
- Hall & Evans Attorneys Listed in 2015 Super Lawyers
- Hall & Evans Rocky Mountain Litigation Reporter
- Hall & Evans Well Represented in List of 2014 Colorado Super Lawyers